"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts." Samuel Johnson

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ask and you shall......

We all know the saying "Ask and you shall receive". Well a common thread I run into at camp is "pray for big things", or "God is going to do big things, don't be afraid to ask". I have always struggled with this idea of asking God for "big" things or the saying God is going to do "big things this summer". Isn't God always doing big things? and what is different about this summer than last? I think I struggle to believe that God is going to work more intensely this summer than last, or that our prayers and our desires will change how much God works here.

John 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you.

I think I usually just chalk un-answered(Or an answer of no) up to me not remaining in God or not being in understanding of his will.

I'm currently working on claiming some of God's promises and growing in those promises.

The bible seems clear that if we ask we shall receive. Mark 11:24, Psalm 37:4, Matt 21:22, John 14:13, john 15:16, and John 16:23-24.

John 16:23-24 is especially confusing to me. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.24. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
I can deal with that but then 25. Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.

What does that mean?

I think another reason I struggle with this idea of asking for "BIG" things is because I feel jaded by "Christian" Culture and having people talk this ish my whole life and just thinking is this just something you say because your at church or because God came up in conversation?

I probably just sound like a fool to anyone reading this right now......

Maybe part of my situation is that there is a deeper fear that I will reach out in faith and God won't answer, not because he can't but because he will choose not to and that it would somehow negatively affect how I view my relationship with God. Almost like if he doesn't answer then I will just think "well clearly I'm not in line with God's will, or God apparently isn't to concerned with the work I'm trying to do right now". I don't know if that makes sense. This is straight out of my brain to the page and I'm pretty sure I forgot the filter this morning. Well Derek just showed up. We were supposed to meet this morning and he is about an hour late. LOL

I guess my question is just "what do you think about BIG prayers", Or that idea that if we are within God's will he will grant us the things we ask for"?

No comments:

Post a Comment