"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts." Samuel Johnson

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Tommy

Tommy is one of my heroes. I know how talented he is and who he really is as a person and I love him for that.

I still remember meeting Tommy. I was going into 5th grade and I had only been living in Des Moines for a few months. Tommy and I were in VBS together. I still remember the first time I ever hung out at Tommy's house, we spent hours talking about how much we loved star wars while we sat on the couch in his basement! We went to church together from that point until we graduated high school. Over the years we went through so many experiences together, we truly "grew up" together. I thought about listing all of the things we went through together or even just the significant ones and unfortunately I don't have the time.

I think there is something very special about experiencing someone through so many of life's changes. What is so amazing about our relationship is that you would think we would have so many similarities and tons of common interests but we have few. Our lives have taken very different paths. We have been calling each other "best friends" for years but the reality is we stopped being "best friends" years ago. Tommy is a brother to me.

I got to spend this past weekend with Tommy and I was reminded how blessed I have been to have such an amazing friend. I know that it won't matter if we live in the same city or on different sides of the country, we will always be there for each other and ready to do anything at a moments notice to help each other.

You're my guy Tom. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment