"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts." Samuel Johnson

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The midst of a storm

I apologize if you read this. I was planning on putting together a post about how Dropbox.com is one of the most incredible and revolutionary Applications out there but my mind has just been bouncing around since the minute I walked in the door about a half an hour ago.

So please understand if my thoughts are fragmented and scattered. Which I think is do to A) Tiredness and B) Spending about 90% of the last two days studying or working on homework assignments. Which will not slow down until I finish my test on Friday at 11. YUCK!

Anyways I am actually getting used to the constant school work and unending group meetings. I think it is all about having the right mindset. When you have the right mindset it is amazing how much easier things feel? Its like if I am expecting to spend 8 hours in the library working on stuff it isn't that bad because I have resigned myself to that but if I am planning on spending two hours there and I just go in thinking about how I hope it goes by quickly it seems to drag.

So last night we had a real estate club meeting (The club I am the President of). Anyways we had an employer here from Kansas City and I have meet this guy multiple times before because of having him up for meetings in the past and I am the one who coordinates meetings. So I was looking forward to having him up he is real nice guy and I usual enjoy talking with him. Well after the meeting I was talking with him about this intership opportunity he had talked about that would be for 8 weeks starting right after I would graduate and I was telling him how I was interested and I was wondering what I should do next. At first he was like "oh yeah, okay" and he was just awkward when I was trying to ask him what I should do next after I gave him my resume. After a few minutes of these he goes "you know what this internship isn't really for you, this is for some people who don't have that much experience and we want to check out before hiring them full" and he went on to tell me that he and someone else had given me the thumbs up. He then continued to tell me they were just waiting for approval on some full time positions and that I was on their "top five" list of people to hire.

I hope that didn't come off as arrogant because I was really caught of guard by that and I just kept thinking "how did I get on their top five and how didn't I know that they were so interested". I mean it really makes me wonder like "Is this company honestly interested in me because I have meet this guy and a few other people from their company a half a dozen times". I mean all I have done is talk with them and organize meetings for the real estate club. I have not done anything amazing. Also what is so confusing is that my GPA is pretty weak like I feel pretty confident that I am a below average student. So is it really that easy, I mean is it more important to just have some familiarity and somewhat of a relationship?

Because if it is it makes me wonder what it would be like if you were just very cognizant about building your personal brand and building up as many relationships as you possibly could. Would you really even need to be that smart? or is that being smart?

There is this real estate grad student who is at a grad school in New York that created a blog titled 'a student of the real estate game". He is absolutely brilliant. I mean I he obviously works very hard but he has thought of a way to put himself in front of so many people in the industry. I guarantee that he gets a bundle of job offers because he has brilliantly marked himself and made himself considerably more valuable. Honestly IT IS RIDICULOUS! It is amazing how easy it is. You just put yourself out there and email/call people and ask if you can sit down with them and ask them questions to get advice. I would say I have opened up a solid three opportunities in Des Moines because of doing that and these people in control met me and know me by name. Amazing. Also the best part is you can talk with the stinking people at the top. It is amazing how easy it is to ask some president of a company to meet with you and it is almost like they think "well if this kid is asking me then it must be alright " WHAT!?!?

Honestly I'm blown away. If there is one talent I might have I think it is resourcefulness and the ability to just ask.

More to come later. Do more people know this? Is this one of those things that you think everyone would know but few people know?

"The answer is always no, if you never ask"

No comments:

Post a Comment