"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts." Samuel Johnson

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hard Decisions

So this Friday I will be exactly 8 weeks from graduating...... WHAT! Well actually 8 weeks of class so 9.

WHAT!!?!>1/.1/13./1./.3?.1/3.2/4.1/4./4??%7.4/YH


That doesn't even seem real. I have to enter the real world, which I must admit I am looking forward to but I'm also terrified. There are a few job opportunities I am deciding on whether to pursue or not and it is tough. Right now I have a "soft" job offer to be an appraiser in Des Moines, I am considering applying for an internship at Principal in Des Moines (Extremely Corporate), There is a company in Kansas City that has told me they are interested in higher me but they don't have any full time opening yet, and there is a company in Des Moines that has an opening for a sales agent in it's commercial brokerage office.

I'm going to break down where I am at for pros and cons of each.

Appraisal position

Cons: 1) Des Moines 2) Tough first two years to get started in the industry with lots of time spent doing continuing ed, classes, and passing some tests. 3) Since it has so many barriers to getting into it would be tough to leave. Also most people that get into appraisal and get their career going don't quick appraising. 4) I'm not exactly sure that this it is something I would be excited about doing all the time. 5) Doesn't necessarily have the suit and tie "top tier" professional requirement (Yes, I like that) 6) Des Moines.


Pros: 1) You have a lot of control over your career 2) Your work and experience adds a lot of value to yourself and you are not that dependent on the company you work for 3) There is a lot of flexibility with hours and where you work from (Potential to be on vacation somewhere and still get work done, also work from home or go into the office whenever) 4) Great opportunities for getting into coaching. 5) Could be fairly easy to relocate to another part of the country but not for 4-6 years. 6) Great opportunity to be an investor in real estate because I would be a pro at valuing it.

Brokerage position
Cons: 1) Potentially start on commission and make very little money for around 2 years. 2) Harder leave one market and enter another market. 3) Uncertainty of commission. 4) Des Moines.

Pros: 1) lots of control over career. 2) A lot of the work is developing your network. Which i think would be a lot of fun. 3) I have already set a pretty good base for a network in Des Moines 4) Not very dependant on one employer, your network and skills add a lot of value to yourself. 5) Potential to make LOTS of money 6) A good amount of flexibility with hours/vacation 7) I enjoy relationship managing. 8) I am not afraid of hearing no.

Internship

Cons: 1) It is an internship 2) Only guarunteed for 7 months 3) Ubber corporate (Split on if this is a con or not 4) Des Moines 5) Make nothing for 7 months.

Pros: 1) Huge Company with a strong brand name. 2) Better opportunity to relocate 3) Easier to go huge corporate then switch to smaller shop than the other way around.

Kanas City company

Cons: 1) Not sure I would like the company/position 2)

Pros: 1) KANSAS CITY 2) They also have an office in San Fransico 3) The company is headquartered in Chicago 4) Solid experience and probably pay to start out 5) Potential to move into mortgage banking (Middle man between borrower and lender 6) They could potentially open an office in Denver.


====================================================================

I think it is pretty clear the winner is the position in Kansas City.

Hm, I have not actually decided I need to hear more about the brokerage and appraisal positions. Tough decisions. My ideal was to get to Denver but that has been harder than I thought it would be.

Well that is where things are at for now. It will be interesting to see how they change.

No comments:

Post a Comment