"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts." Samuel Johnson

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dream Job

Well it has been quite some time since I last posted. Oh well, I decided to day would be the perfect time to get back on track.

So the reason for this blog is something that has consumed a lot of my thoughts for a few weeks. This is something that started as an after thought when my roommate started working on a project about socially responsible companies and the few conversations we had about the research he was doing. Then it moved into more of a for thought when I was at coffee with a friend of mine who I have just started hanging out with this semester and he asked where I want to be in three-five-ten years. It was interesting because at that point I realized I had a decent idea but had not put lots of thought into it and wasn't really committed to it.

As our conversation continued I started to hammer it out in my head. A few days later I had another similar conversation with another friend and it was very interesting how we really saw so many things about life so similarly. Then it was a conversation with my Tommy about what it would look like to work together a few years down the road because of the possibility that he would take his mom's position at a Real Estate company. Maybe that was a pipe-dream but that got me thinking even more. Then it turned into some research I did because of a land development project and looking into low income housing which lead me down a road of reading about some companies who focus on helping to develop low income housing and that is their companies focus. This really gained more steam when I recently bought a book about companies who are responsible... The book is called The responsibility Revolution. I have enjoyed the book and last night I had another conversation about my dream job.

So what all of this has lead to is I have spent a lot of time thinking about my future and trying to find a way that my "career" isn't just this 9-5 thing completely separate from God. The more time I have spent thinking about these the closer I feel I am moving towards not my dream job but my goal job. Which is to start a Real Estate company that is for profit but not only for profit it would be a company with a mission not just a balance. I would like to start this company and have a certain % focus on helping the Low-income, affordable housing industry. I think a lot of that would be problem solving how to make better, more efficient housing more affordable. I mean I really think this is something I could be passionate about and get behind. I believe there is real purpose in going to work every day and not just thinking about making a paycheck to take home but thinking about helping those who are less fortunate than you. I believe that would make work so much more enjoyable, to have a real purpose other than just providing for your family.

I would really like to do this. I mean this is the best way I can think of using my "talents/abilities/understanding to benefit the kingdom and to take care of people. I mean how beautiful of thing would it be to know that I would be helping people have a better,cheaper, and nicer place for them and their children to live. I want to help kids grow up in a cleaner nicer environment and I would like to move into finding more ways to help with continuing education for the low-income demographic.

Anyways, I just really wanted to get those thoughts out but now I have to run to a Real Estate Club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment